Saturday, January 7, 2012

Best Vegetarian Lasagna

The smell of fresh air, fields of alfalfa, chickens running around, cows, pigs, are you thinking Illinois?.. because I'm not. I moved to Chicago two years ago and can hardly see stars. Today my class drove about an hour away from campus to a small farm and experienced an all organically raised farm. It was really cool. The farmer talked about what he fed his animals, how he treated them, how he butchered them, and (my favorite part) how he chose to not treat, inject, or use anything artificial in the raising or processing of his animals. He cracked a fresh egg and showed the differences in the coloring of yolks from a free range (organic) chicken verses a cage raised chicken. The yolk was so much darker, more solid, and apparently the taste was more rich. So buying the $3.50 carton really is better? 

After petting cows and following around pigs I was starving. My friend Megan who lives a floor below me made vegetarian lasagna in my crock pot. It turned out AMAZING! Here is a link to the recipe it took about 3 hours and was super easy. http://www.food.com/recipe/slow-cooker-vegetarian-lasagna-204366 


I really have been thinking a lot about the earth we live on and what I am doing to contribute and/or give back. I mean I don't even recycle.After listening to the farmer talk today I realized that I don't even express how thankful I am for the land that provides the food I eat. I came across this verse and thought I would share: 

Psalm 65:9-13
You visit the earth and water it,
         You greatly enrich it; 
         The river of God is full of water; 
         You provide their grain, 
         For so You have prepared it.
You water its ridges abundantly,
         You settle its furrows; 
         You make it soft with showers, 
         You bless its growth. 
         
 You crown the year with Your goodness,
         And Your paths drip with abundance.
 They drop on the pastures of the wilderness,
         And the little hills rejoice on every side.
 The pastures are clothed with flocks;
         The valleys also are covered with grain; 
         They shout for joy, they also sing.

I am excited that God gave us taste buds as silly as that sounds but experimenting with food is fun! I encourage you to try something new this week! 


-Ariel

No comments:

Post a Comment